Cooperative Paws SDC™
Cooperative Paws Service Dog Coaching™ is an online, CEU approved service dog trainer certification program that prepares professional pet dog trainers to support people with disabilities train a service dog. This education program was developed by Veronica Sanchez M.Ed., CABC, CPDT-KA, an expert service dog trainer, with feedback and input from dog training industry leaders. The Cooperative Paws SDC™ certificate is exclusively for professional pet dog trainers who are committed to positive training methods.
No need to reinvent the wheel. Cooperative Paws Service Dog Coaching™ gives dog trainers the knowledge, skills in addition to the business tools they need to hit the ground running and incorporate service dog training into their pet dog training business.
Acquire Knowledge and Service Dog Training Skills
- Understand the types of service dogs and ways they can help
- Gain strategies to adapt training for people with disabilities
- Learn how to select a dog for service work, how to screen client’s pets effectively and sensitively
- Develop skills in training service dog tasks
- retrieve (also pull, hold, and carry)
- hearing alert
- targeting based (push doors, turn lights, access buttons)
- Understand the behaviors and training needed for public access, learn how to assess public access readiness
- Learn strategies to incorporate service dog training into your pet dog training business
- Learn how to collaborate with healthcare professionals
- Access a comprehensive Learning Library with articles and resources on service dog specialties including mobility, guide, hearing, psychiatric/PTSD, autism, diabetic, seizure-alert and more.
Gain Essential Business Tools
- Observation checklists and guidelines to evaluate service dog candidates
- Observation checklist and guidelines to assess public access work
- New client intake & questionnaire template
- Marketing tools – website content examples, social media and search engine optimization information
- Client handouts
- Medical release, Healthcare provider letters & forms, Client Contract Addendum created in consultation with an attorney
Access a Service Dog Expert
Get answers to your questions about how to handle specific challenges with dogs, clients or your business.
This program is the best of both worlds, the convenience of online learning combined with quick access to an expert. You can ask Veronica questions as you complete the program via email as well as in discussion areas below every lesson. You will receive direct feedback on your technical training skills as you submit videos of your work training service dog tasks.
Earn a Certification and CEU’s
Successful graduates earn the SDC™ designation, receive a certificate to display and can use the Cooperative Paws SDC™ logo in their marketing materials and website.
CCPDT (trainers) – 21 IAABC – 14.25 KPA – 14.25 PPAB – 14
A Great Value
→ Service dogs require 2 years of intensive training and maintenance training through the dog’s retirement.
→ The service dog training process is flexible and can include a combination of services such as private lessons, board and train, day training and group classes.
→ Whether your goal is to train only a few service dogs or to specialize in service dogs, this program is a great investment.
- Introductory Tuition: 2250.00
- Application fee: 50.00
You must be a professional dog trainer committed to using reward based training methods and tools exclusively (i.e. clicker training, lure reward). Details on additional prerequisites. Uncertain if you meet requirements? Please contact us: [email protected].
This is primarily an online program, you will need to be comfortable using a computer, the web and email. You will need access to a reliable internet connection. Each lesson involves a combination of written material, video and an online quiz. Each lesson also includes a section where you can ask questions and discuss issues related to the lesson.
The program takes about 12 weeks to complete when spending about 2 hours a week working on the course (read more about how we work with you on deadlines). You can complete the program faster if you choose to spend more than 2 hours a week working on materials. The course, projects and quizzes need to be completed before the deadline.
There are 4 projects required in the program. Three are essay and one requires video. You will need access to a dog to train and the ability to take video of yourself, and be able to upload/download/send video and files (i.e. YouTube, Google Drive, DropBox). One project requires a short visit to a location such as a nursing home, hospital, adaptive equipment supplier or independent living center, and another project requires a short visit to a local shopping mall or other similar location.