Cooperative Paws Service Dog Coaching™ prepares professional pet dog trainers committed to positive training methods to support people with disabilities in training a service dog to assist them. The certificate program was developed by Veronica Sanchez M.Ed., CABC, CPDT-KA, an expert service dog trainer, with feedback and input from dog training industry leaders.
Knowledge and Skills
- Types of service dogs
- Working effectively with people with disabilities
- Selecting a dog for service work
- Different types of service dogs and tasks
- Training foundation tasks
- hearing alert
- targeting based
- Strategies to incorporate service dog training into your pet dog training business
- Collaborating with healthcare professionals
- Learning Library – research and resources on service dog specialties including mobility, guide, hearing, psychiatric/PTSD, autism, diabetic, seizure-alert and more.
- Observation checklists and guidelines to evaluate service dog candidates
- Observation checklist and guidelines to assess public access work
- New client intake & questionnaire template
- Marketing tools – website content examples, social media and search engine optimization information
- Client handouts
- Medical release, Healthcare provider letters & forms, Client Contract Addendum created in consultation with an attorney
Access to an Expert
This program is the best of both worlds, the convenience of online learning combined with quick access to expert support. Veronica is available to give feedback and suggestions on coursework and answer your questions. You can ask questions as you complete the program via email or discussion areas below every lesson. She answers your questions quickly usually the same business day.
Successful graduates earn the SDC™ designation and can use the Cooperative Paws SDC™ logo in their marketing materials.
CCPDT (trainers) – 21 IAABC – 14.25 KPA – 14.25 PPAB – 14
Nuts and Bolts
- Introductory Tuition: 2250.00
- Application fee: 50.00*
- Applications being accepted now (on demand enrollment)
- Applications usually take 1-2 weeks to process.
*Applications and references take time to process, and the application fee is not refundable.
You must be a professional pet dog trainer committed to using reward based training methods and tools exclusively (i.e. clicker training, lure reward). Details on additional prerequisites. Uncertain if you meet requirements? Please contact us: [email protected].
This is primarily an online program, you will need to be comfortable using a computer, the web and email. You will need access to a reliable internet connection. Each lesson involves a combination of written material, video and an online quiz. Each lesson also includes a section where you can ask questions and discuss issues related to the lesson.
The program takes about 12 weeks to complete when spending about 2 hours a week working on the course. You can complete the program faster if you choose to spend more than 2 hours a week working on materials. The course, projects and quizzes must be completed before the 12 week deadline.
There are 4 projects required in the program. Three are essay and one requires video. You will need access to a dog to train and the ability to take video of yourself, and be able to upload/download/send video and files (i.e. YouTube, Google Drive, DropBox). One project requires a short visit to a location such as a nursing home, hospital, adaptive equipment supplier or independent living center, and another project requires a short visit to a local shopping mall or other similar location.