Getting Started in Public Access FAQ
The course covers information trainers need to know when beginning training a service dog candidate to work in public access.
- Definition of public access
- Behavior expected in public access
- Behavioral characteristics of public access appropriate candidates
- Socialization and foundation skills
- Appropriate experiences for service dog candidate puppies
- Working with owner-trainers with puppies
- Basic behaviors service dog candidate puppies needs
- Foundation skills for public access work
- Default behaviors
- Assessing readiness for public access
- Assessments for evaluating readiness
- Skills needed
- Utilizing rehearsal
- Selecting public access training locations
- Addressing stress in public access
- Identifying stress signs in service dog candidates
- Implementing strategies to reduce and respond to stress
- Successful public access field trip training
- Identifying appropriate training environments
- Common challenges service dogs encounter in public access
- Public transportation
- Medical facilities
- Public access tests
You can take this online course on your laptop, pad or smartphone. When you sign up, you will receive an email to log in. It is very user friendly and straight forward! The course includes a combination of video presentations, training demonstrations, written materials and links to relevant websites. The last lesson includes an “open book” quiz which you can take multiple times.
The course includes a multiple choice quiz at the end. If you complete the quiz successfully, you will receive a certificate of completion that you can download or print. You can retake the quiz if you need to.
This course can be completed in a few afternoons. However, you have access to the course for a full 90 days. Handouts are included in PDF form so you can print and refer back to them for your personal use.
You will need to be comfortable using a computer, the internet and email. We recommend using a tablet, laptop or desktop computer for the course, however, the course can be accessed on a smart phone as well.
Yes, the video presentations in our courses are all close-captioned.