The course covers essential information about service dogs and gives an overview of the service dog training process. The course content includes:
- Essential definitions
- Legal definition of service dog
- Review of different types of service dogs
- Sort out confusing terminology ESA, Therapy Dog
- Overview of the service dog training process
- Clarification of common misconceptions about service dog training
- Learning theory review and how it is applied to service dog training
- The quadrants of learning, behavior chains and why they are important for service dog training
- Discussion of service dog career options
- Challenges in the service dog industry, types of service dog careers
- Educational paths for pursuing a career in service dog training
Is the Service Dog Fundamentals course a prerequisite for the Service Dog Coaching Certificate program?
No, the Service Dog Fundamentals course is not a prerequisite for the Cooperative Paws SDC Certificate program. However, trainers who are working towards meeting the Cooperative Paws SDC Certificate prerequisites are encouraged to take the Fundamentals course. That way they can start to learn about service dogs, service dog training and career options right away.
You can take this online course on your laptop, pad or smartphone. When you sign up, you will receive an email to log in. It is very user friendly and straight forward! The course includes a combination of video presentations, training demonstrations, written materials and links to relevant websites. The last lesson includes an “open book” quiz (needed if you would like CEUs) which you can take multiple times.
This course can be completed in about 4 hours. However, you have access to the course for a full 90 days. Handouts are included in PDF form so you can print and refer back to them for your personal use.
You will need to be comfortable using a computer, the internet and email. You will need access to an internet connection.
You will receive a certificate of completion that you can download or print. You also can earn CEUs from the CCPDT, IAABC and KPA.