The course covers essential information about service dogs and gives an overview of the service dog training process. The course content includes:
- Essential definitions
- Legal definition of service dog
- Review of different types of service dogs
- Sort out confusing terminology ESA, Therapy Dog
- Overview of the service dog training process
- Clarification of common misconceptions about service dog training
- Learning theory review and how it is applied to service dog training
- The quadrants of learning, behavior chains and why they are important for service dog training
- Discussion of service dog career options
- Challenges in the service dog industry, types of service dog careers
- Educational paths for pursuing a career in service dog training
Is the Service Dog Fundamentals course a prerequisite for the Service Dog Coaching Certificate program?
No, the Service Dog Fundamentals course is not a prerequisite for the Cooperative Paws SDC Certificate program. However, trainers who are working towards meeting the Cooperative Paws SDC Certificate prerequisites are encouraged to take one of our on-demand courses first. It’s a great way to begin learning about service dogs and familiarize yourself with Veronica’s instructional style.
You can take this online course on your laptop, pad or smartphone. When you sign up, you will receive an email to log in. It is very user friendly and straight forward! The course includes a combination of video presentations, training demonstrations, written materials and links to relevant websites. The last lesson includes an “open book” quiz which you can take multiple times.
The course includes a multiple choice quiz at the end. If you complete the quiz successfully, you will receive a certificate of completion that you can download or print. You can retake the quiz if you need to.
This course can be completed in a few afternoons. However, you have access to the course for a full 90 days. Handouts are included in PDF form so you can print and refer back to them for your personal use.
You will need to be comfortable using a computer, the internet and email. We recommend using a tablet, laptop or desktop computer for the course, however, the course can be accessed on a smart phone as well.
Yes, the video presentations in our courses are all close-captioned.