The Service Dog Fundamentals course does not lead to a certification. Students who take the Fundamentals course learn essential basics such as legal information, learn how service dogs can help people with disabilities, learn how learning theory is applied to service dog training and career options in service dog training. The Fundamentals course is an introduction to service dogs and is intended for beginning trainers, career changers, healthcare professionals and others who are interested in learning about service dogs.
Dog trainers interested in the Cooperative Paws Service Dog Coach™ certification need to apply to the Cooperative Paws SDC® program.
Most students complete the course in less than a week (it takes between 2-4 hours). However, you will have access to it for a full 12 weeks and there are handouts and outlines you can download and save to refer back to.
You will need to be comfortable using a computer, the web and email. You will need access to a reliable internet connection.
Students receive an email prompt to set up a password and sign into the course. It literally takes less than a minute.
You can take the course on a laptop, smart phone or pad.
Is the Service Dog Fundamentals course a prerequisite for the Service Dog Coaching Certificate program?
The Service Dog Fundamentals course is not a prerequisite for the Cooperative Paws SDC Certificate program. However, trainers who are working towards meeting the Cooperative Paws SDC Certificate prerequisites are encouraged to take the Fundamentals course. That way they can start to learn about service dogs, service dog training and career options right away. Learn about the Cooperative Paws Service Dog Coach prerequisites.
The course is on an easy to use learning management system called Ruzuku. The course includes a combination of short videos and reading material. When you purchase the course you will receive an email invitation to log into the course. If you want to earn CEUs you will need to take the quiz at the end of the course and pass with 100%. You can retake the quiz as many times as needed.
The course covers essential information about service dogs and gives an overview of the service dog training process. The course content includes:
- Essential definitions
- Legal definition of service dog
- Review of different types of service dogs
- Sort out confusing terminology ESA, Therapy Dog
- Overview of the service dog training process
- Clarification of common misconceptions about service dog training
- Learning theory review and how it is applied to service dog training
- The quadrants of learning, behavior chains and why they are important for service dog training
- Discussion of service dog career options
- Challenges in the service dog industry, types of service dog careers
- Educational paths for pursuing a career in service dog training